Sunday, January 13, 2013

" Orange Marmalade "



Orange is a wonder fruit. Yes, it is at least for me. I’m very fond of oranges since my childhood. Initial years of my childhood were spent in the State of Jammu & Kashmir. Though I remember very little of that time but I do remember our store room full of oranges. I and my father were too fond of fruits n I’m till this date. Our refrigerator was always full of fruits so that I could hog them any time. Life has changed and I’m here in Uttarakhand, the closest I can stay to Mother Nature. Life’s very tough but nature rewarded this place with breath taking natural beauty and some amazing fruits. I've discussed a lot about them in my earlier post on Local fruits. Let’s talk further about orange. As you all know that I've already made Orange, raisins and walnut cookies and now I've gone one step ahead by making orange marmalade. The main problem was that now a days I really don’t want to use any kind of preservatives, and every recipe I found has one or other kind of preservative. Staying in a small hill city of India, I can’t get any kind of jam sugar, candy thermometer etc, but then I was adamant to make this jam. So from all the recipes I've adapted mine one :). The trick’s to keep the sugar quantity 80% of the juice quantity. Like I used 500 gms of orange juice and 400 gms of sugar. So here you go people.

Ingredients


Orange juice – 500 gms

Plain sugar – 400 gms

I've skipped to add orange peel but if you like them, then add them.


Method 




1. Boil the orange juice and then add sugar and cook until it is thick.

2. There are many tests, and two of them are here,

(i) If you've a candy thermometer, then the temperature should reach 106 degree C /

220 degree F. or,
(ii) Pour over the mixture over the back spoon if it covered the spoon then it’s done. 


Now it’s time to save them. I've used a jar cleaned in hot water and dried it with tissue paper and stored my gorgeous looking jam into this. You can also use sterilize jar. So now this jam’s ready to relish it with bread, parathe or even filling of cakes or cookies or you can gift this to your friends also :). 





Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment