Saturday, November 24, 2012

Shahi Tukada or Double Ka Meetha


Tempting Enough!


My mom used to make this for my brother as he’s very fond of sweets. Thankfully I don’t have a sweet tooth but I used to hog on that bread which mom fried to make this. Ah! Those were the golden days. My mom is not the best cook of the world but yes still I love to eat whatever she cook for us and for few things like kadhi, red pepper pickle and many more no one can make better than her. Miss u mom and I’m sure you’ll make kadhi (a gram flour preparation) for me next time when I’m in Varanasi, my home town. Yes I belong to the holy city of Varanasi. A city on the bank of river Ganges famous for the ancient temple of lord Shiva, Benarasi Saari, Magahi Paan (beetle nut leaves stuffed with many goodies) and many more other things. 

Ok back from being nostalgic this is ‘Shahi Tukda’ and in few places it is also called ‘double ka meetha’ and as far as I know it hails from hydrabad, another famous city of India. This dish is very easy to make and tasty as well. So when my friend asked me to make something for sweets as she wanted to throw a small get together on her husband’s birthday, this dish came to my mind. Leftover sugar syrup of canned rasgulla or gulab jamun is just perfect for this. So if you have some, you know what’s the best use of that :).

Ingredients


Bread- 6 pieces (cut them into triangles)

Sugar- ¼ cup

Water – 1 cup

Cream- ½ cup (I used amul cream)

Powdered sugar – 2 tbsp

Chopped almonds and pistachio for garnish

Oil for deep frying

Method:


1. Cut the edges of the bread. Thereafter, cut it diagonally to form 2 triangles. Deep fry them in hot oil until brown and crisp 

2. To make the sugar syrup, mix sugar and water and set the mixture to boil. Simmer the syrup for 10 minutes. Don’t make it thick

3. Arrange the fried bread on a plate.

4. Now pour the sugar syrup over the breads.

5. Mix the cream with powdered sugar and then spread it onto the bread and sprinkle some almonds, pistachio over it.
Serve it chill. 


Bon Appetit!

Enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment