Saturday, October 11, 2014

" Phirni/ Firni or as they say Rice pudding "


Those who know me knew that I don’t have the sweet tooth. I don’t eat 90% of the things I bake or make like cakes, cookies etc. Sometimes I don’t even taste them. But there is one sweet dish which I’ve started liking which is Phirni/Firni. Phirni is a version of Kheer in which broken rice or rice powder (not so fine though) is used. In India, Kheer is made on special occasions like festivals or marriages. At my home mom used to prepare Kheer on festivals and on special dinners. My father was fond of sweets and Kheer was his favourite. But Phirni is what I heard from my Mom's sister. At her place its a family tradition to make Phirni when a new daughter in law comes to house. So after the marriage of my cousin, my Masi i.e. Mom's sister, made this. The whole day I thought about this gooey, soft, comforting and very tasty Kheer. After almost a year while surfing the channels on television I saw Phirni again on a cookery show, when the tube light of my brain suddenly started blinking :). Now after a year or more I can proudly say that I'm a Phirni expert :). I always like to play with flavours and have already made Phirni in different flavours like Orange, Lemon, Lemon grass, Cinnamon, Vanilla, good old Cardamom, Rose and many more. Till date Orange Phirni is my favourite but I love it with Cinnamon too. I know citrus flavour is my weakness, but don’t you think I’m right in this? This rice pudding is very easy to make and the only key is you have to stir it on frequent intervals to avoid any lumps. I’m telling you the Cinnamon infused phirni recipe. You can add any flavour of your choice.




Ingredients

Rice of your choice – 2 handfuls

Milk – 500 ml

Chopped dry fruits of your choice – 1 handful

Saffron strands – few (optional)

Cinnamon stick – 1 inch


Silver vark (optional)

Method

1. Wash the rice and dry it by spreading in a plate. Then grind it coarsely.

2. Boil the milk in a sauce pan and add the cinnamon stick to it.

3. Now add rice into the boiling milk and cook till the milk gets thicker and rice cooked.

4. If you want then remove the cinnamon stick.

5. Add the dry fruits in the end. Cook for few more minutes.

6. Now serve them in individual dishes. You can use traditional earthen dishes (kulhad in Hindi). I used ramekins. Decorate with some chopped dry fruits and saffron strands.

Now refrigerate it for few hours before serving. As almost every dessert tastes better when serve chilled.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment